This was The Beatles’ third and final radio appearance of the day, on the BBC Light Programme’s show The Talent Spot.
The group arrived at the BBC’s Paris Studio in London at 5.30pm and began rehearsing for the hour-long session, which started at 7pm. They performed three songs before a studio audience: ‘Please Please Me’, ‘Ask Me Why’ and ‘Some Other Guy’.
The half-hour show, presented by Gary Marshall, was broadcast from 5pm on 29 January. The Beatles had previously appeared on The Talent Spot on 27 November 1962.
Also on this day...
- 1969: Get Back/Let It Be sessions: day 11
- 1968: Apple opens offices at 95 Wigmore Street, London
- 1966: George and Pattie Harrison hold a press conference
- 1964: Live: Olympia Theatre, Paris
- 1963: Radio: Saturday Club
- 1963: Radio: Pop Inn
- 1962: Live: Kingsway Club, Southport
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.