On this day The Beatles appeared on the EMI plug show The Friday Spectacular, at EMI House, 20 Manchester Square, London.
They chatted to hosts Shaw Taylor and Muriel Young, and studio recordings of ‘Please Please Me’ and ‘Ask Me Why’ were played. The show was recorded before an audience of around 100 teenagers, and was broadcast live on Radio Luxembourg.
It was during the recording of a Radio Luxembourg programme in the EMI Friday Spectacular series that I was finally convinced that The Beatles were about to enjoy the type of top-flight national fame which I had always believed that they deserved. The teen-audience didn’t know the evening’s line-up of artists and groups in advance, and before Muriel Young brought on The Beatles she began to read out their Christian names. She got as far as John… Paul… and the rest of her introduction was buried in a mighty barrage of very genuine applause.
Sleeve notes for the Please Please Me LP
Also on this day...
- 2014: US release: The US Albums
- 2011: Yoko Ono grants publishing rights to Lennon letters
- 1969: Get Back/Let It Be sessions: day 10
- 1969: Ringo Starr is interviewed for the BBC’s Scene And Heard
- 1966: George Harrison marries Pattie Boyd
- 1962: Live: Casbah Coffee Club, Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Aintree Institute, Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Lathom Hall, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.