This was The Beatles’ eighth of 48 nights at Hamburg’s Star-Club, the city’s newest rock ‘n’ roll venue.
The Beatles played three separate residencies at the club in 1962. This was the first, and saw the group perform for a total of 172 hours over seven weeks. Their only night off was the previous day, Good Friday, 20 April.
It was The Beatles’ third residency in a Hamburg club within two years, and followed a series of shows at the Indra, the Kaiserkeller and the Top Ten Club.
Also on this day...
- 2015: Paul McCartney live: Kyocera Dome, Osaka, Japan
- 2015: John Lennon vinyl box set announced
- 2012: Paul McCartney live: Estádio do Arruda, Recife, Brazil
- 2010: Paul McCartney’s entire back catalogue to be reissued by Concord Music Group
- 1978: UK album release: Bad Boy by Ringo Starr
- 1967: Recording, mixing: Only A Northern Song, Sgt Pepper run-out groove
- 1966: Recording: Taxman
- 1965: Filming: Help!
- 1964: Filming: Paul McCartney’s unused scene in A Hard Day’s Night
- 1963: Live: Pigalle Club, London
- 1963: Live: NME Poll-Winners’ All-Star Concert
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.