This was The Beatles’ seventh of 48 nights at Hamburg’s Star-Club, the city’s newest rock ‘n’ roll venue.
The Beatles played three separate residencies at the club in 1962. This was the first, and saw the group perform for a total of 172 hours over seven weeks. Their only night off was Good Friday, 20 April.
It was The Beatles’ third residency in a Hamburg club within two years, and followed a series of shows at the Indra, the Kaiserkeller and the Top Ten Club.
This was also the date of Stuart Sutcliffe’s funeral in Huyton, Merseyside. The Beatles did not attend; nor did they send flowers. Cynthia Powell (later Lennon) did go, as did Stuart’s closest art school friend Rod Murray.
Also on this day...
- 2015: Paul McCartney inducts Ringo Starr into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
- 2014: Paul McCartney live: Estadio Centenario, Montevideo, Uruguay
- 2012: Paul McCartney live: Estadio El Campín, Bogotá, Colombia
- 1973: UK album release: 1967-1970 (Blue Album)
- 1973: UK album release: 1962-1966 (Red Album)
- 1968: Apple Corps advertises for new talent
- 1967: Mixing: Good Morning Good Morning, Only A Northern Song
- 1967: The Beatles & Co. is formed
- 1966: Recording, mixing: Doctor Robert
- 1965: US single release: Ticket To Ride
- 1964: Recording: Around The Beatles
- 1963: Live: Mersey Beat Showcase, Stoke-on-Trent
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.