His normal group, the Hurricanes, had a rare day off, and Pete Best was unwell. Ringo stood in for The Beatles firstly during their lunchtime show at the Cavern Club, and again in the evening for their performance at the Kingsway Club in Southport.
Starr was well known to the group, as both The Beatles and the Hurricanes had played lengthy residencies in the clubs of Hamburg. Starr may have performed with The Beatles for some of their previous German shows, but none before this date have been documented.
This was The Beatles' 44th evening show at the Cavern Club. Overall it was the group's 129th appearance at the underground Mathew Street venue, including their more common lunchtime shows.
Also on this day...
- 1996: Press release for Real Love
- 1970: Recording: Love Is A Many Splendoured Thing by Ringo Starr
- 1969: Mixing: I’ve Got A Feeling, Don’t Let Me Down, Get Back, One After 909, Dig A Pony
- 1968: Ringo Starr rehearses for Cilla Black’s television show
- 1967: Filming: Penny Lane
- 1964: Press conference: London airport
- 1963: Live: Gaumont Cinema, Doncaster
- 1962: Live: Kingsway Club, Southport
- 1961: Live: Blair Hall, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.