The Beatles gave their 73rd lunchtime performance at Liverpool’s Cavern Club on this day.
The group’s lunchtime shows in the Cavern typically lasted from 12-2pm. Overall this was their 115th appearance at the soon-to-be-famous Mathew Street cellar club, including their late-night shows.
Although the precise number of their Cavern performances is not known, The Beatles played at least 155 lunchtime and 125 evening shows at the Mathew Street venue between 9 February 1961 and 3 August 1963.
Also on this day...
- 1970: John Lennon’s Bag One exhibition opens in London
- 1969: George Harrison rejoins The Beatles
- 1967: McCartney and Harrison watch Donovan in London
- 1965: Live: Another Beatles Christmas Show
- 1964: Live: Cinéma Cyrano, Versailles
- 1961: Live: Casbah Coffee Club, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.