The Beatles’ 12th evening show at Liverpool’s Cavern Club took place on this date.
They topped the bill at the cellar club on Mathew Street, with support from The Strangers. Their singer, Joe Fagin, scored a UK hit single in 1984 with That’s Livin’ Alright, from the television show Auf Wiedersehen, Pet.
The precise number of The Beatles’ Cavern Club shows is not known, although at least 155 lunchtime performances and 125 evening shows are documented between 9 February 1961 and 3 August 1963. This was their 43rd appearance overall.
Last updated: 24 August 2012
Also on this day...
- 2014: Paul McCartney urges Scots to vote No to independence
- 1972: John Lennon live: Madison Square Garden, New York
- 1969: John Lennon and Ringo Starr travel to the Isle of Wight to see Bob Dylan
- 1968: Recording, mixing: Dear Prudence
- 1968: UK single release: Hey Jude
- 1966: Travel: Los Angeles to London
- 1965: Live: Hollywood Bowl, Los Angeles
- 1964: Live: Convention Hall, Atlantic City, New Jersey
- 1963: Live: Odeon Cinema, Southport
- 1963: Television: The Mersey Sound
- 1962: Live: Riverpark Ballroom, Chester
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1960: Live: Indra Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.