She met John when they were at art college students in Liverpool in 1958. They married in 1962, after discovering she was pregnant with their son Julian.
The couple divorced in 1968, after John met Yoko Ono. She remarried three times, and in later years lived with her fourth husband Noel Charles on the Spanish island of Majorca.
— Julian Lennon (@JulianLennon) April 1, 2015
Cynthia died on 1 April 2015 at her home in Majorca. The news was announced in a statement on Julian Lennon's website:
Cynthia Lennon passed away today at her home in Mallorca, Spain following a short but brave battle with cancer.
Her son Julian Lennon was at her bedside throughout. The family are thankful for your prayers.
Please respect their privacy at this difficult time.
Julian also posted a tribute on YouTube, featuring still images of the Lennon family:
Peace and love to Julian Lennon God bless Cynthia love Ringo and Barbaraxx
— #RingoStarr (@ringostarrmusic) April 1, 2015
— May Pang (@maypang) April 1, 2015
Our heartfelt condolences go out to Cynthia Lennon's family at this sad time. Such warm memories of a lovely lady RIP http://t.co/aYA8CpCUTU
— Cavern Club (@cavernliverpool) April 1, 2015
Rest in peace Cynthia Lennon; a remarkable woman and a true friend to the Beatles Story. pic.twitter.com/Q4YeCWFOMs
— The Beatles Story (@beatlesstory) April 1, 2015
Sincere condolences to @JulianLennon. I met Cynthia several times and she was always warm, funny, upbeat. After an extraordinary life, RIP.
— Mark Lewisohn (@marklewisohn) April 1, 2015
Also on this day...
- 1970: Recording: Across The Universe, The Long And Winding Road, I Me Mine
- 1969: Television: John Lennon and Yoko Ono interviewed on Today
- 1967: Recording, mixing: Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
- 1966: John Lennon buys Timothy Leary’s The Psychedelic Experience
- 1965: Brian Epstein takes over the Saville Theatre, London
- 1965: Filming: Help!
- 1964: John Lennon is reunited with his father Alf
- 1964: Filming: A Hard Day’s Night
- 1963: Radio: Side By Side
- 1962: Live: Casbah Coffee Club, Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.