Sir Paul McCartney performed at the Olimpiyskiy Arena in Russia’s capital city Moscow, as part of his On The Run tour.
It was McCartney’s first show in Russia since the 04 Summer Tour called at the Russia Palace Square in St Petersburg in June 2004.
Russian Beatles fan site beatles.ru ran a poll in November 2011 to see which song fans would like McCartney to perform in Moscow. The winner, by a wide margin, was Monkberry Moon Delight from 1971’s Ram album, followed by Hope Of Deliverance, Once Upon A Long Ago, Lovely Rita and Your Mother Should Know.
Unlike the site’s similar poll in 2008, which led to Mrs Vandebilt being included in McCartney’s concert setlist. Unfortunately for the Moscow audience, the 2011 poll results were ignored.
McCartney’s band was Paul ‘Wix’ Wickens (vocals, keyboards, guitar, percussion, harmonica), Brian Ray (vocals, guitar, bass), Rusty Anderson (vocals, guitar) and Abe Laboriel Jr (vocals, drums).
- Magical Mystery Tour
- Junior’s Farm
- All My Loving
- Drive My Car
- Sing The Changes
- The Night Before
- Let Me Roll It
- Paperback Writer
- The Long And Winding Road
- Come And Get It
- Nineteen Hundred And Eighty-Five
- Maybe I’m Amazed
- I’ve Just Seen A Face
- I Will
- Here Today
- Dance Tonight
- Mrs Vandebilt
- Eleanor Rigby
- Ram On
- Band On The Run
- Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
- Back In The USSR
- I’ve Got A Feeling
- A Day In The Life/Give Peace A Chance
- Let It Be
- Live and Let Die
- Hey Jude
Further On The Run tour dates:
- 19 December: MEN Arena, Manchester, England
- 20 December: Echo Arena, Liverpool, England
Also on this day...
- 2009: Sir Paul McCartney appears on the X Factor
- 1999: Paul McCartney live at the Cavern Club, Liverpool
- 1969: Television: With A Little Help From My Friends
- 1963: Live: Wimbledon Palais, London
- 1962: Live: Music Hall, Shrewsbury
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.