Studio Three (control room), EMI Studios, Abbey Road
Producer: Malcolm Davies
Engineer: Tony Clark
With The Beatles' final recorded album, Abbey Road, complete and awaiting release, the group members largely turned to other projects.
Three mixes were made, each of which ended with Lennon's closing comments: "Let's hear it, before we get taken away!" The session lasted from 2.30-5.30pm, at the end of which the mixes were copied onto a separate tape reel which were taken back to Apple by Malcolm Davies.
Lennon was considering releasing the song as a Plastic Ono Band single, although the song remained unreleased until 1996's Anthology 3. This day's mixes were never used, however, as further overdubs were added on 26 November 1969.
Also on this day...
- 2017: Paul McCartney live at Prudential Center, Newark, New Jersey
- 1968: Recording: Glass Onion
- 1967: Filming: Magical Mystery Tour
- 1964: Live: Gator Bowl, Jacksonville
- 1964: George Harrison buys Mornyork Ltd
- 1963: Recording: I Wanna Be Your Man, Little Child, All I’ve Got To Do, Not A Second Time, Don’t Bother Me
- 1962: Recording: PS I Love You, Love Me Do, Please Please Me
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1960: Live: Indra Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.