The first task was to create a reduction mix to allow more overdubs to be added. Harrison double-tracked his lead vocals, after which a second reduction mix – which was numbered take three – was made.
Harrison, John Lennon and Paul McCartney then added some backing vocals onto track three. These were put through a Hammond organ’s Leslie speaker to give a swirling effect. Track four was left empty for now.
This session began at 7pm and continued until 3.15am on the morning of 8 September. Recording for Blue Jay Way was concluded on 6 October 1967.
Also on this day...
- 2018: Ringo Starr live at Fabulous Fox Theatre, St Louis, Missouri, USA
- 2018: Paul McCartney live at Grand Central Terminal, New York City
- 2018: Album release: Egypt Station by Paul McCartney
- 2010: John Lennon’s killer denied parole for sixth time
- 1964: Live: Maple Leaf Gardens, Toronto, Canada
- 1963: Live: Fairfield Hall, Croydon
- 1963: Radio: Saturday Club
- 1962: Live: Village Hall, Irby, Wirral
- 1961: Live: Litherland Town Hall, Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1960: Live: Indra Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.