The Beatles switched from Studio Two to the smaller Studio Three for this overdub session for Penny Lane, which took place from 7pm to 1.40am.
The sound of a handbell was added whenever the fireman was mentioned in the lyrics, and vocal harmonies were added to the instrumental passage which would later receive the piccolo trumpet solo.
These parts were added to track two of the four-track tape. Two more recording sessions for Penny Lane followed before work was complete.
Also on this day...
- 2012: US publishing rights for six early Beatles songs are sold
- 2011: Gretsch to sell limited edition replica of George Harrison’s Duo Jet guitar
- 1969: Get Back/Let It Be sessions: day seven – George Harrison quits The Beatles
- 1968: Recording: Wonderwall Music by George Harrison
- 1966: US single release: Woman by Peter And Gordon
- 1964: Live: The Beatles’ Christmas Show
- 1964: US album release: Introducing The Beatles
- 1963: Live: Grafton Rooms, Liverpool
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1958: Live: New Clubmoor Hall, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.