Revolver had advance orders of over 300,000 in Britain, and was an instant smash. One week after its release date it reached number one, where it remained for seven weeks. In all it spent 34 weeks in the charts.
The catalogue numbers were PMC 7009 (mono) and PCS 7009 (stereo). Revolver was also available on a 4″ reel-to-reel tape, a 3¾ ips twin-track mono tape, issued in a cardboard box as TA-PMC 7009.
Also on this day...
- 2014: Paul McCartney live: Washington-Grizzly Stadium, Missoula, Montana
- 2010: Apple Records announces best-of compilation and bonus material
- 2009: Paul McCartney live: Fenway Park, Boston
- 1969: Recording: You Never Give Me Your Money, Because, The End
- 1967: George Harrison attends an Alla Rakha recording session
- 1966: UK single release: Eleanor Rigby/Yellow Submarine
- 1963: Live: Abbotsfield Park, Urmston
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.