The Beatles arrived at the Antrobus Arms in Amesbury, Wiltshire on this day, ahead of the three-day shoot on Salisbury Plain for the military scenes in Help!.
They arrived at the hotel, situated at 15 Church Street, at 11.20pm. Each day the group were taken to and from the filming location, Knighton Down in Larkhill, in a black Austin Princess limousine.
The car was left unlocked in the hotel garage during the days, and items of clothing, cigarette ends and other souvenirs were taken by looting fans. The Beatles departed from the hotel on the afternoon of 6 May 1965.
Last updated: 18 May 2010
Also on this day...
- 2022: Paul McCartney live: Climate Pledge Arena, Seattle
- 2015: Paul McCartney live: Olympic Stadium, Seoul, South Korea
- 1969: Recording: Something
- 1969: Television: John Lennon and Yoko Ono are interviewed for How Late It Is
- 1966: Paul McCartney, Bob Dylan and The Rolling Stones visit Dolly’s nightclub, London
- 1966: Radio: Saturday Club, Pop Profile
- 1964: Paul McCartney, Jane Asher, Ringo Starr and Maureen Cox fly to Lisbon
- 1964: John and Cynthia Lennon, George Harrison and Pattie Boyd fly to Hawaii
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.