The interview took place in Studio G at the corporation’s Lime Grove Studios between 12.30 and 1pm. How Late It Is was a weekly arts and sketch show presented by Michael Wale.
The interview was broadcast on the same evening from 10.55pm. It included a three-minute sequence from Lennon and Ono’s film Rape, in which a young Hungarian woman, Eva Majlata, was followed by a film crew.
The full interview appears to no longer exist, but an audio recording circulates on bootlegs.
Also on this day...
- 2022: Paul McCartney live: Climate Pledge Arena, Seattle
- 2015: Paul McCartney live: Olympic Stadium, Seoul, South Korea
- 1969: Recording: Something
- 1966: Paul McCartney, Bob Dylan and The Rolling Stones visit Dolly’s nightclub, London
- 1966: Radio: Saturday Club, Pop Profile
- 1965: The Beatles arrive in Amesbury, Wiltshire
- 1964: Paul McCartney, Jane Asher, Ringo Starr and Maureen Cox fly to Lisbon
- 1964: John and Cynthia Lennon, George Harrison and Pattie Boyd fly to Hawaii
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.