On this occasion it was the 15th date of the 1964 British tour. The Beatles performed two concerts a night, for which they were paid £850. Their set throughout the 1964 tour contained 10 songs: ‘Twist And Shout’, ‘Money (That’s What I Want)’, ‘Can’t Buy Me Love’, ‘Things We Said Today’, ‘I’m Happy Just To Dance With You’, ‘I Should Have Known Better’, ‘If I Fell’, ‘I Wanna Be Your Man’, ‘A Hard Day’s Night’ and ‘Long Tall Sally’.
The support acts on the tour were The Rustiks, Sounds Incorporated, Michael Haslam, The Remo Four, Tommy Quickly and Mary Wells, and the compère was Bob Bain. The evening’s two shows began at 6.15pm and 8.30pm.
After the concert The Beatles took their chauffeur, Alf Bicknell, for a night out in Exeter to celebrate his 36th birthday.
Also on this day...
- 2015: Ringo Starr live at Lyric Opera House, Baltimore
- 2014: Paul McCartney live at KFC Yum! Center, Louisville, Kentucky
- 1965: Mixing: We Can Work It Out
- 1964: Interview: Playboy
- 1963: Live: Borås Hallen, Borås, Sweden
- 1962: Live: Empire Theatre, Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Aintree Institute, Liverpool
- 1961: Raymond Jones orders My Bonnie from Brian Epstein
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.