The Beatles were filmed this morning descending the iron staircase at the back of the Hammersmith Odeon, which became the beginning of one of two Can't Buy Me Love sequences in the A Hard Day's Night film.
In the afternoon The Beatles remained in west London for more filming. The first was a scene shot in St Luke's Road in Notting Hill Gate, where they were chased by police. Afterwards Ringo Starr was filmed in Lancaster Road, where he photographed milk bottles, was chased by two female fans, and found refuge in a second-hand clothes store at 20 All Saints Road.
The day's filming ended with an unused scene in which Paul McCartney walked on the Goldhawk Road in Shepherd's Bush, and entered a door signposted 'TV Rehearsal Room'. The door was actually that of the Jack Billings TV School of Dancing, and the shot was to have preceded McCartney's solo sequence with Isla Blair, filmed on 20 April and the following day.
Also on this day...
- 2014: Paul McCartney live at Movistar Arena, Santiago, Chile
- 2012: Paul McCartney live at Estádio do Arruda, Recife, Brazil
- 1969: Recording, mixing: John And Yoko
- 1969: John Lennon changes his middle name to Ono
- 1966: Recording: Taxman, Tomorrow Never Knows
- 1965: Filming: Help!
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.