On this day The Beatles were taken to the training camp of boxer Cassius Clay – later known as Muhammad Ali – who was preparing for his 25 February fight against heavyweight champion Sonny Liston.
Obviously we were having an effect, because all these people were clamouring to meet us – like Muhammad Ali, for instance. We were taken to meet him on that first trip. It was a big publicity thing. It was all part of being a Beatle, really; just getting lugged around and thrust into rooms full of press men taking pictures and asking questions. Muhammad Ali was quite cute, he had a fight coming up in a couple of days with Sonny Liston. There is a famous picture of him holding two of us under each arm.
The meeting took place at Miami's Fifth Street gym.
I sparred with Cassius Clay, as he was called then – I taught him everything he knew. That was a thrill, of course, and I was putting my money on Liston, so I really knew what was happening!
In the evening The Beatles went to a drive-in movie, where they watched Elvis Presley in Fun In Acapulco.
Also on this day...
- 2015: Ringo Starr live at Sunrise Theater, Fort Pierce, FL, USA
- 1970: Recording, mixing: It Don’t Come Easy by Ringo Starr
- 1970: Recording, mixing: Have I Told You Lately That I Love You, Let The Rest Of The World Go By by Ringo Starr
- 1965: Recording, mixing: Ticket To Ride, Another Girl, I Need You, Yes It Is, You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away, The Night Before, You Like Me Too Much, If You’ve Got Trouble, Tell Me What You See
- 1965: Northern Songs is floated on the stock exchange
- 1963: Live: Queen’s Hall, Widnes
- 1962: Live: Casbah Coffee Club, Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Aintree Institute, Liverpool
- 1933: Yoko Ono is born
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.