The Beatles’ celebrated appearance on The Morecambe And Wise Show was filmed at ATV’s Elstree Studio Centre in Borehamwood on this day, although it wasn’t broadcast to the nation until April 1964.
They were then joined by Eric Morecambe and Ernie Wise for some banter and a light-hearted version of golden oldie ‘Moonlight Bay’.
The episode of The Morecambe And Wise Show was shown on the ITV network on Saturday 18 April 1964 at 8.25pm. It was repeated on 24 July the following year on The Best Of Morecambe And Wise.
The audio recording of Moonlight Bay was released on Anthology 1 in 1995.
Also on this day...
- 2009: Paul McCartney live: Color Line Arena, Hamburg
- 1974: US single release: Walking In The Park With Eloise by Paul McCartney
- 1969: George Harrison live: Colston Hall, Bristol with Delaney & Bonnie
- 1969: Mixing: Lady Madonna, Rain, Octopus’s Garden
- 1969: Television: 24 Hours: The World Of John And Yoko – day one
- 1969: John Lennon is interviewed for Man Of The Decade
- 1968: US album release: Wonderwall Music by George Harrison
- 1966: Mixing, editing: Pantomime: Everywhere It’s Christmas
- 1965: George Harrison’s Gretsch guitar is destroyed
- 1964: Ringo Starr’s tonsils are removed
- 1963: Live: Grosvenor House, London
- 1962: Live: Embassy Cinema, Peterborough
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.