The Beatles had a break from their Autumn Tour, and spent the afternoon at the Granada television studios in Manchester filming a performance and interview for the Late Scene Extra and Scene At 6.30 programmes.
Here’s George Harrison watching footage from the show in the 1970s.
The interview took place on the same set, and was conducted by presenter Gay Byrne. The Beatles were joined by Liverpudlian comedian Ken Dodd.
The footage was used in the 27 November edition of Late Scene Extra, which was broadcast from 11.45pm to midnight, and in the 20 December edition of Scene At 6.30.
Also on this day...
- 2014: Paul McCartney live at Allianz Parque, São Paulo, Brazil
- 2012: Paul McCartney live at BC Place, Vancouver, Canada
- 2008: Beatles iTunes deal has ‘stalled’
- 2008: US album release: Electric Arguments by The Fireman (Paul McCartney and Youth)
- 1969: John Lennon returns his MBE to the Queen
- 1968: US album release: The Beatles (White Album)
- 1966: Recording: Pantomime: Everywhere It’s Christmas
- 1965: The Beatles go Christmas shopping in Harrods
- 1964: Radio: Saturday Club
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.