On this day The Beatles headlined the Great Pop Prom, an afternoon show at London’s Royal Albert Hall.
The prom was an annual fundraising event for the Printers’ Pension Corporation, promoted by the teen magazines Valentine, Marilyn and Roxy. Eleven other acts appeared on the bill, and the compère was DJ Alan Freeman.
The Beatles also did a photo session behind the Royal Albert Hall with The Rolling Stones. This was one of only a handful of times that the two groups performed at the same show.
Standing up on those steps behind the Albert Hall in our new gear, the smart trousers, the rolled collar. Up there with the Rolling Stones we were thinking, “This is it – London! The Albert Hall! We felt like gods!
Also on this day...
- 2017: Paul McCartney live: Madison Square Garden, New York City
- 2017: Album release: Give More Love by Ringo Starr
- 2016: Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr attend the world premiere of The Beatles: Eight Days a Week
- 2015: The Beatles’ hits and videos come together with new stereo and surround sound mixes
- 1972: UK album release: Some Time In New York City by John & Yoko/Plastic Ono Band
- 1969: John Lennon and Yoko Ono are interviewed by ITV News
- 1967: Filming: Magical Mystery Tour
- 1966: Paul McCartney watches experimental music in London
- 1964: Live: Public Auditorium, Cleveland, Ohio
- 1962: Live: Memorial Hall, Northwich
- 1961: Live: Knotty Ash Village Hall, Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Grosvenor Ballroom, Wallasey
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1960: Live: Indra Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.
I was at the Great Pop Prom and am trying to remember all the other acts that took part. I know Susan Maughan was one of them. Does anyone know who the others were?