The Beatles recorded three songs for the BBC radio show Easy Beat at the Playhouse Theatre, London on this day. It was their first appearance on the programme.
John Lennon and Paul McCartney also took part in a record review with fellow guests Laura Lee and Clare O’Rourke, casting judgement on new releases by Bert Weedon, Cleo Laine, The Vernons Girls and former tour partner Tommy Roe. The panellists were paid an extra fee of £1 1 shilling for taking part.
The group arrived at the Playhouse Theatre at 5.30pm for a rehearsal, and the show was recorded from 8.30 to 9.45pm. It was first broadcast from 10.30am on Sunday 7 April on the BBC Light Programme service.
Also on this day...
- 2010: Paul McCartney live at Sun Life Stadium, Miami, Florida
- 1969: John Lennon and Yoko Ono appear on The Eamonn Andrews Show
- 1969: Radio: George Harrison interviewed for The World At One
- 1967: Recording, mixing: Within You Without You
- 1967: Paul McCartney flies to Los Angeles
- 1964: Filming: A Hard Day’s Night trailer
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.