On this day The Beatles’ 100th evening show at the Cavern Club took place. They topped a bill which also included Freddie and the Dreamers, Vic and the Spidermen, Group One, and Simone Jackson.
In addition to performing their own set, The Beatles were the backing group for Simone Jackson, a 16-year-old singer.
Nearly all the groups played their own instruments, but the Chants needed instrumental backing. The Beatles sometimes backed them, although Brian Epstein was not happy about that. I also recall The Beatles backing a new girl from Manchester, Simone Jackson, who was with Kennedy Street Enterprises, but this was Brian’s doing as he had done some deal to give her expenses.
During this show, Manchester group Freddie and the Dreamers heard The Beatles’ performance of James Ray’s If You Gotta Make A Fool Of Somebody. Impressed with their arrangement, the Dreamers took it and made it part of their own live set.
Overall this was The Beatles’ 231st appearance at the underground Mathew Street venue, including their lunchtime shows.
Also on this day...
- 2017: Paul McCartney live: Prudential Center, Newark, New Jersey
- 2013: The Beatles: On Air – Live At The BBC Volume 2 is announced
- 2005: UK album release: Chaos And Creation In The Backyard by Paul McCartney
- 1969: John Lennon decides to leave The Beatles
- 1969: John Lennon and Yoko Ono are interviewed for various publications
- 1968: Recording: Glass Onion
- 1967: Filming: Magical Mystery Tour
- 1964: Live: Boston Garden, Boston
- 1963: Recording: Messages to Australia, Hold Me Tight, Don’t Bother Me, Little Child, I Wanna Be Your Man
- 1960: Live: Indra Club, Hamburg
- 1959: Live: Casbah Coffee Club, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.