Produced by Nigel Godrich, it was recorded over a two year period in London and Los Angeles.
The single ‘Fine Line’ was issued in August 2005, a month before the album. It reached number 20 in the UK, but failed to chart in America. The b-sides were ‘Comfort Of Love’ and ‘Growing Up Falling Down’.
Chaos And Creation In The Backyard spent three weeks on the UK albums chart, peaking at number 10.
In the United States it was released on 13 September 2005. The album sold 357,000 copies in the USA in the first 12 weeks. It debuted at number six on the Billboard 200 with sales of 91,544 copies, and was nominated for two Grammys, for Album Of The Year and Best Pop Vocal Album.
A CD/DVD Special Edition of the album was released, featuring McCartney’s name as an ambigram on the cover, and a 20-page booklet including lyrics. The 51-minute DVD was titled Between Chaos And Creation, and contained a 30-minute documentary, a studio performance of ‘Fine Line’, a 12-minute animated film titled Line Art, and a menu sequence to the song ‘How Kind Of You’.
Chaos And Creation In The Backyard was also issued on vinyl, with four bonus 12″ square prints of line drawing.
Also on this day...
- 2017: Paul McCartney live at Prudential Center, Newark, New Jersey
- 2013: The Beatles: On Air – Live At The BBC Volume 2 is announced
- 1969: John Lennon decides to leave The Beatles
- 1969: John Lennon and Yoko Ono are interviewed for various publications
- 1968: Recording: Glass Onion
- 1967: Filming: Magical Mystery Tour
- 1964: Live: Boston Garden, Boston
- 1963: Recording: Messages to Australia, Hold Me Tight, Don’t Bother Me, Little Child, I Wanna Be Your Man
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1960: Live: Indra Club, Hamburg
- 1959: Live: Casbah Coffee Club, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.