The Beatles played just once concert on this night, before 13,909 fans. It was their only visit to the Boston Garden in Boston, Massachusetts.
The venue opened in November 1928, and was originally named the Boston Madison Square Garden. It was located at North Station on Causeway Street, and hosted ice hockey and basketball games, as well as concerts, boxing, wrestling, circuses and other events. It closed in 1997, and was succeeded by the FleetCenter, later known as TD Garden.
The other acts on the bill on this night were, in order of appearance, The Bill Black Combo, The Exciters, Clarence ‘Frogman’ Henry, and Jackie DeShannon.
The Beatles performed their standard 12-song set: ‘Twist And Shout’, ‘You Can’t Do That’, ‘All My Loving’, ‘She Loves You’, ‘Things We Said Today’, ‘Roll Over Beethoven’, ‘Can’t Buy Me Love’, ‘If I Fell’, ‘I Want To Hold Your Hand’, ‘Boys’, ‘A Hard Day’s Night’ and ‘Long Tall Sally’.
The Beatles returned to Boston on just one other occasion, playing at Suffolk Downs Racetrack during their final tour on 18 August 1966.
Also on this day...
- 2017: Paul McCartney live: Prudential Center, Newark, New Jersey
- 2013: The Beatles: On Air – Live At The BBC Volume 2 is announced
- 2005: UK album release: Chaos And Creation In The Backyard by Paul McCartney
- 1969: John Lennon decides to leave The Beatles
- 1969: John Lennon and Yoko Ono are interviewed for various publications
- 1968: Recording: Glass Onion
- 1967: Filming: Magical Mystery Tour
- 1963: Recording: Messages to Australia, Hold Me Tight, Don’t Bother Me, Little Child, I Wanna Be Your Man
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1960: Live: Indra Club, Hamburg
- 1959: Live: Casbah Coffee Club, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.
I attended this Concert – stood in front of John Lennon the entire time:)
There is a Photo of this Concert that made Front Page on some Boston News Paper .. which may not be in Business anymore –
Any help locating Front Page Photos of This Concert .. Appreciated!!
I was at the concert too! As one is standing right in front of the stage…I was in the left front row. Great story just how we (with 4 friends) ever got to sit in the front row! Great time! Great memories! I have two different pictures of the Beatles singing…a little blurry, but very cool! Right after the Beatles left the stage (at the end of the concert)I ran up to the stage and managed to get a Boston Policeman to reach up onto the stage and grab a “Beatles” hat right off the stage for me! Whether it was one of their hats, I will never know. I thought it was John’s cap… but not sure of that. I was in my senior year of High School and I will never forget that night!!!