The Beatles gave their 117th lunchtime performance at Liverpool’s Cavern Club on this day.
The group’s lunchtime shows typically lasted from 12-2pm. This was their 200th known performance overall at the soon-to-be-famous cellar venue on Mathew Street in Liverpool’s city centre, including evening appearances.
The precise number of The Beatles’ Cavern performances is not known, although they played at least 155 lunchtime and 125 evening shows between 9 February 1961 and 3 August 1963.
Last updated: 25 May 2015
Also on this day...
- 2016: The Beatles Live At The Hollywood Bowl to be released in September
- 1987: Recording: Choba B CCCP by Paul McCartney
- 1968: Jane Asher announces her split from Paul McCartney
- 1967: The Chris Barber Band records Catcall
- 1967: George Harrison and Ringo Starr travel to Greece
- 1964: US single releases: And I Love Her, I’ll Cry Instead
- 1964: US album release: Something New
- 1963: Live: Ritz Ballroom, Rhyl
- 1962: Live: Bell Hall, Warrington
- 1961: Live: St John’s Hall, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.