The Beatles’ 20th lunchtime performance at the Cavern Club on Mathew Street, Liverpool took place on this day.
They performed in the cellar club from 12-2pm before an audience that included fellow musicians, students, workers on a lunchbreak and others who happened to have heard of them at this early stage.
Although the precise number of their Cavern performances is not known, The Beatles played at least 155 lunchtime and 125 evening shows. Their final performance at the venue took place on 3 August 1963.
Also on this day...
- 2015: Paul McCartney live at Lollapalooza 2015
- 2011: Paul McCartney live at Wrigley Field, Chicago
- 1982: George Martin appears on the BBC’s Desert Island Discs
- 1969: Recording: You Never Give Me Your Money, Golden Slumbers, Carry That Weight
- 1968: Recording: Hey Jude
- 1968: The Apple Boutique closes down
- 1967: John Lennon and Paul McCartney return to England from Greece
- 1963: Live: Imperial Ballroom, Nelson
- 1961: Live: Litherland Town Hall, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.