The Quarrymen's first performance at the Cavern Club with Paul McCartney took place on this day.
They were billed as The Quarry Men Skiffle Group. The headline act was the Merseysippi Jazz Band.
McCartney was as arrogant as Lennon, no doubt he caught it from him. They'd only been playing for a short while so you wouldn't expect them to be any good but they became world class, the best. At the time, they couldn't play to save their lives and all I can remember is their cheek and their chat.
The Cavern, Spencer Leigh
Although no definitive documentation exists, it's thought that the Quarrymen performed at the Cavern Club on several more times in addition to the two known occasions - this day and 7 August 1957.
The venue, of course, became world famous after The Beatles performed there extensively between 1961 and 1963.
Also on this day...
- 1986: US album release: Live In New York City by John Lennon
- 1969: Get Back/Let It Be sessions: day 13
- 1967: Paul McCartney and Brian Epstein discuss The Beatles’ third film with Joe Orton
- 1964: Live: Olympia Theatre, Paris
- 1964: Radio: American Forces Network
- 1963: Live: Assembly Hall, Mold
- 1963: Live: NEMS, Liverpool
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1959: Live: Woolton Village Club, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.