On this day The Beatles gave their 77th lunchtime performance at Liverpool’s Cavern Club. It was also the 17th occasion on which they performed both lunchtime and evening shows at the venue.
The group’s lunchtime shows typically lasted from 12-2pm. This was their 121st known appearance overall at the soon-to-be-famous cellar venue on Mathew Street in Liverpool’s city centre.
Although the precise number of The Beatles’ Cavern performances is not known, they played at least 155 lunchtime and 125 evening shows between 9 February 1961 and 3 August 1963.
Last updated: 25 May 2015
Also on this day...
- 1986: US album release: Live In New York City by John Lennon
- 1969: Get Back/Let It Be sessions: day 15
- 1967: Paul McCartney and Brian Epstein discuss The Beatles’ third film with Joe Orton
- 1964: Live: Olympia Theatre, Paris
- 1964: Radio: American Forces Network
- 1963: Live: Assembly Hall, Mold
- 1963: Live: NEMS, Liverpool
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1959: Live: Woolton Village Club, Liverpool
- 1958: Live: The Quarrymen at the Cavern Club, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.
After last night’s show in Kingsway, which must have impressed the group with the accommodations, I simply wonder how this lunchtime performance sounded.