Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Beatley Moments
26 July 2014
5.49pm
Matt Busby
In the town where I was born
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 932
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2961sp_Permalink sp_Print

Not really sure where to post this…

Just heard on TCM that royalties from the Beatles’ cover of Till There Was You exceeded the sum total of all other profits associated with The Movie Man.

Half of what I say is meaningless...

I feel good in a special way, I'm in love and it's a sunny day

BeatlesBible.com earns royalties if you use these links when shopping: Amazon | iTunes

26 July 2014
5.53pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105
2962sp_Permalink sp_Print

ahdn_paul_06 I think you mean The Music Man?

The following people thank Starr Shine? for this post:

Bulldog

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

26 July 2014
6.41pm
Matt Busby
Shea Stadium
Members
2963sp_Permalink sp_Print

Annadog40 said
ahdn_paul_06 I think you mean The Music Man?

facepalm! ty

BeatlesBible.com earns royalties if you use these links when shopping: Amazon | iTunes

26 July 2014
11.20pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964
2964sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dont see why its such a surprise, The Music Man is such an annoying song large sales are not going to happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?…..crse-ELw 

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

27 July 2014
1.41am
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832
2965sp_Permalink sp_Print

Matt Busby said

Just heard on TCM that royalties from the Beatles’ cover of Till There Was You exceeded the sum total of all other profits associated with The Music Man.

@Matt Busby When you say TCM, do you mean the cable TV network? Did they mention that during the broadcast of the film? If so, what a cool Beatley Moment. 

That song is one of my unsung favorites. George’s solo is well played – especially the one he performed at the Royal Variety show.

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

27 July 2014
6.32am
Matt Busby
Shea Stadium
Members

Zig said

Matt Busby said

Just heard on TCM that royalties from the Beatles’ cover of Till There Was You exceeded the sum total of all other profits associated with The Music Man.

@Matt Busby When you say TCM, do you mean the cable TV network? Did they mention that during the broadcast of the film? If so, what a cool Beatley Moment. 

That song is one of my unsung favorites. George’s solo is well played – especially the one he performed at the Royal Variety show.

Yes, the cable classic movie network.  One of the emcees was introducing the film and casually mentioned it.  It was Bob Mankiewicz, who I think likes the Beatles more than the average person in their 40s.  I’ve sang the song karaoke myself, it was one of the first ones I did this year.

EDIT:  I like George’s work in the song too, it’s precise and (in most versions) flawless.  The slow, sparkling chords…

The following people thank Matt Busby for this post:

Zig

27 July 2014
2.19pm
Zig
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
2967sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said
Dont see why its such a surprise, The Music Man is such an annoying song large sales are not going to happen.

I think Matt meant that the Beatles royalties from the cover of ‘TTWY’ were greater than the profits generated by the entire film The Music Man.

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

27 July 2014
2.31pm
Into the Sky with Diamonds
New York
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1981
2968sp_Permalink sp_Print

Interesting factoid worth double-checking. (You’ll need to be the second coming of Allen Klein to figure that one out.) Meet/With The Beatles did sell by the millions, but The Music Man was (is) a huge hit on Broadway, at the movies,…

"Into the Sky with Diamonds" (the Beatles and the Race to the Moon – a history)

27 July 2014
2.53pm
Zig
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
2969sp_Permalink sp_Print

This was all in regard to the film only, I believe. I don’t think it had anything to do with any other media. Is that right, @Matt Busby ? That was how I read it.

27 July 2014
6.12pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
2970sp_Permalink sp_Print

Zig said

meanmistermustard said

I think Matt meant that the Beatles royalties from the cover of ‘TTWY’ were greater than the profits generated by the entire film The Music Man.

Yeah i got what he meant; my reply was very much not to be taken seriously or given too much thought.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Zig, Matt Busby

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

27 July 2014
11.15pm
Matt Busby
Shea Stadium
Members

Zig said
This was all in regard to the film only, I believe. I don’t think it had anything to do with any other media. Is that right, @Matt Busby ? That was how I read it.

That’s how I took it, yeah.  I poked around for some numbers but couldn’t find anything on the broadway/hollywood front except gross box office receipts, and we’re talking profit here (at least, I think they said profit…it went by so quick, but my ears perked up because of the potential Beatles connection).  The Music Man is still about 30th on the all time list of longest running Broadway musicals, so it seems unlikely single-song royalties, except for a huge hit like um, Whitney’s Warnes/Medley’s The Time of My Life would surpass its profits. 

It’s quite possible they meant the Beatles version royalties from the one song surpassed the entire soundtrack royalties, not the total movie profits. In fact thinking about it, the song was not a big hit for the Beatles…surely it couldn’t have beaten the entire movie?  The soundtrack was pretty popular (I kind of think it’s in our box of vinyl…), so beating that is still saying something.

EDIT (found it!): “Willson’s widow later told the New York Times that his estate made more money from the royalties of the Beatles’ cover of “Till There Was You” than it did from the play.[18]

I looked up the cited source (#18) and it just had the same statement – no additional definition of what she meant by “from the play”.  I could find no record of a soundtrack being released from the play, only from the movie.  But I’m certain musical score writers were and are compensated more and differently than standard musician contracts specify (iow, I’m sure Andrew Lloyd Webber made more than just royalties off Phantom).  After all, you can’t measure a musical’s score’s contribution to its profits by individual song/lp sales.

The following people thank Matt Busby for this post:

Zig

28 July 2014
3.03pm
Zig
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
2972sp_Permalink sp_Print

Every morning on my way to work, I drive past a plant that manufactures cement mixing drums like the one attached to this truck:

cementImage Enlarger

When the drums are detached from the trucks and stacked in piles, they look like stacks of yellow submarines. The first time I saw them, I did a double take thinking, “no – it can’t be!”. It wasn’t.

The following people thank Zig for this post:

Mr. Kite, Matt Busby

28 July 2014
4.26pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22240
2973sp_Permalink sp_Print

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8 Sorry it wasn’t. But you could sing this when you drive by

Yellow lorry slow, nowhere to go

28 July 2014
4.45pm
Zig
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
2974sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ahhh Girl said

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8 Sorry it wasn’t. But you could sing this when you drive by

Yellow lorry slow, nowhere to go

Or a combination song.
“We all live on a Yellow Lorry slow, Yellow Lorry slow, Yellow Lorry slow.”

Ahhh Girl, Matt Busby, thisbirdhasflown

29 July 2014
7.18pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105
2975sp_Permalink sp_Print

On YouTube I got an ad for a Paul McCartney solo work

The following people thank Starr Shine? for this post:

Ahhh Girl

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

30 July 2014
6.17pm
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 7111

Yesterday , a water main broke near UCLA, flooding the lower parts of the campus with 10 milliion gallons of water before the valves could be shut (during a severe drought, I might add). Miraculously, no one was hurt (especially given that the 30-ft geyser broke through the gravel on Sunset Boulevard during rush hour). This morning, one of the radio stations made a Yellow Submarine joke in response.

parlance

Beware of sadness. It can hit you. It can hurt you. Make you sore and what is more, that is not what you are here for. - George

Check out my fan video for Paul's song "Appreciate" at Vimeo or YouTube.

30 July 2014
9.31pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2781
2977sp_Permalink sp_Print

Not really a Beatlesmoment, but this afternoon I was at a friend’s, and we were playing Singstar (this karaoke game on the playstation). I was a bit flabbergasted that the musicshop of that game did have songs by John and Paul solo, but not by the Beatles themselves, while they had songs by godknowswho. Fucking country singers I’ve never heard of, Dutch singers, you name it, even the Beach Boys , but no Beatles. 

The following people thank Linde for this post:

Mr. Kite
30 July 2014
9.36pm
Zig
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
2978sp_Permalink sp_Print

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8Must be an Apple copyright thingie. I ran into the same kind of thing last night. Zag & I went out for a bite to eat at our favorite little Tavern. I decided to play some music on the digital juke box. Pleanty of solo stuff but no real Beatles – only others covering them.
blue-meanie

30 July 2014
9.36pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
2979sp_Permalink sp_Print

Down to licensing laws and costs?

31 July 2014
4.35pm
Zig
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
2980sp_Permalink sp_Print

While at a gas station this morning, I received the first compliment from a stranger regarding my new license plate.
zigvolvrImage Enlarger

The woman said, “hey cool plate – that’s my favorite album”. After complimenting her on her good taste, we both drove away smiling. ahdn_ringo_09

Ahhh Girl, parlance, Mr. Kite, Beatleva, Bulldog, Matt Busby

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2860
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5520
Newest Members:
9intheafternoon, NJtoTX, seo mavia, adamo3, katybphoto
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22240, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694