Martin Scorsese's documentary George Harrison: Living In The Material World will be screened in North America on 5 and 6 October 2011, and will be released in the UK on DVD and Blu-ray on 10 October.
The film will be accompanied by a book of the same name by George Harrison's widow Olivia. Due to be published by Abrams Books in September, it will contain photographs, letters, diary entries and memorabilia that tells the story of his life.
George was making spiritually awake music – we all heard and felt it – and I think that was the reason that he came to occupy a very special place in our lives. So when I was offered the chance to make this picture, I jumped at it. Spending time with Olivia, interviewing so many of George's closest friends, reviewing all that footage, some of it never seen before, and listening to all of that magnificent music – it was a joy, and an experience I'll always treasure.
t will be shown by HBO in North America over two nights. The TV network describes Living In The Material World as "deeply moving and touches each viewer in unique and individual ways".
George Harrison died on 29 November 2001, and the documentary and book are part of a 10-year commemoration of his passing.
Also on this day...
- 2014: Paul McCartney live at Pinnacle Bank Arena, Lincoln, Nebraska
- 2013: Paul McCartney live at Bankers Life Fieldhouse, Indianapolis
- 2012: Paul McCartney and Bruce Springsteen silenced onstage in London
- 1964: Radio: Top Gear
- 1963: Live: ABC Theatre, Blackpool
- 1962: Live: Regent Dansette, Rhyl
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.