Sir Paul McCartney has played the first concert at the Citi Field stadium, New York, home to the New York Mets.
Citi Field is the successor to Shea Stadium, where The Beatles gave two triumphant concerts in 1965 and 1966.
McCartney performed more than 30 songs, including I'm Down, the song which closed the group's 1965 concert. He also dedicated My Love to his first wife Linda, "a New York girl", and invited Billy Joel to the stage for I Saw Her Standing There.
The concert was also filmed. The setlist ran as follows:
- Drive My Car
- Only Mama Knows
- Flaming Pie
- Got To Get You Into My Life
- Let Me Roll It
- The Long And Winding Road
- My Love
- Here Today
- Dance Tonight
- Calico Skies
- Mrs Vandebilt
- Eleanor Rigby
- Sing The Changes
- Band On The Run
- Back In The USSR
- I'm Down
- I've Got A Feeling
- Paperback Writer
- A Day In The Life/Give Peace A Chance
- Let It Be
- Live And Let Die
- Hey Jude
Also on this day...
- 2014: Ringo Starr live at Les Schwab Amphitheater, Bend, Oregon
- 1969: Recording: Oh! Darling, Octopus’s Garden
- 1968: World première of Yellow Submarine
- 1967: US single release: All You Need Is Love
- 1964: Radio: From Us To You
- 1963: Radio: Easy Beat
- 1962: Live: McIlroy’s Ballroom, Swindon
- 1961: Live: Litherland Town Hall, Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.