It was recorded in the wake of his extensive 1989-1990 world tour, and saw him record with a band for the first time since Wings’ 1979 album Back To The Egg
Off The Ground failed to top any country’s album chart, but went top 10 in Australia, Austria, the Netherlands, Germany, Italy, Japan, New Zealand, Norway, Spain, Sweden and the United Kingdom.
In the US it peaked at 17 on the Billboard 200 chart.
A two-disc set titled Off The Ground: The Complete Works was issued in Japan and the Netherlands. The second disc contained a further 11 tracks recorded during the album sessions, as well as the full version of ‘Cosmically Conscious’.
Off The Ground – The Complete Works featured the extra tracks ‘Long Leather Coat’, ‘Keep Coming Back To Love’, ‘Sweet Sweet Memories’, ‘Things We Said Today’, ‘Midnight Special’, ‘Style Style’, ‘I Can’t Imagine’, ‘Cosmically Conscious’, ‘Kicked Around No More’, ‘Big Boys Bickering’, ‘Down To The River’, and ‘Soggy Noodle’.
Also on this day...
- 2012: Paul McCartney’s star unveiled on Hollywood Walk of Fame
- 1970: Recording: Whispering Grass, Have I Told You Lately That I Love You by Ringo Starr
- 1967: Recording: Fixing A Hole
- 1964: The Beatles’ first Ed Sullivan Show
- 1963: Live: Empire Theatre, Sunderland
- 1962: Live: Technical College Hall, Birkenhead
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1961: Live: The Beatles’ first Cavern Club show
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.