On this day The Beatles’ 50th evening show at the Cavern Club took place. It was also the 20th occasion on which they performed both lunchtime and evening shows at the venue.
The bill was Pete Haslam’s Collegians, The Beatles, and Gerry and the Pacemakers. Overall this was The Beatles’ 133rd appearance at the underground Mathew Street venue, including their lunchtime shows.
The precise number of The Beatles’ Cavern performances is not known, although they played at least 155 lunchtime and 125 evening shows between 9 February 1961 and 3 August 1963.
Last updated: 5 October 2012
Also on this day...
- 2012: Paul McCartney’s star unveiled on Hollywood Walk of Fame
- 1993: US album release: Off The Ground by Paul McCartney
- 1972: Wings live: Nottingham University
- 1970: Recording: Whispering Grass, Have I Told You Lately That I Love You by Ringo Starr
- 1967: Recording: Fixing A Hole
- 1964: The Beatles’ first Ed Sullivan Show
- 1963: Live: Empire Theatre, Sunderland
- 1962: Live: Technical College Hall, Birkenhead
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1961: Live: The Beatles’ first Cavern Club show
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.
It’s my (very tenuous) claim to fame! The Beatles used to support my uncle Pete’s jazz band at the Cavern. Ha ha!!