‘(Just Like) Starting Over’ was Lennon’s much-anticipated comeback following five years away from the public eye.
We knew that song would be the first single. I love ‘Starting Over’, but when I hear it now it just chokes me up a bit because it’s how we felt at the time. We really thought that we were starting over and it didn’t work out that way.
Starting Over, Ken Sharp
The record was heavily promoted, with US record stores using countertop cardboard display boxes, and 21″x8″ posters being sent out to UK shops. A promotional 12″ single lasting an extra 23 seconds was issued to radio stations, and has since become a collector’s item.
‘(Just Like) Starting Over’ became Lennon’s biggest solo hit in the United States. At the time of his death it was at number six in the Billboard Hot 100. The following week it climbed two places, and it topped the chart during the week ending 27 December 1980.
Also on this day...
- 2015: Ringo Starr live: Citi Performing Arts Center, Boston, Massachusetts
- 2014: Ringo Starr live: Ruth Eckerd Hall, Clearwater, Florida
- 2012: Apple Inc granted trademark for The Beatles’ Apple Corps logo
- 2010: English Heritage plaque unveiled at Lennon and Ono’s former London home
- 1968: Recording: Yellow Submarine film score
- 1964: Live: Gaumont State Cinema, Kilburn, London
- 1963: Travel: London to Stockholm, Sweden
- 1963: Recording, mixing: I Wanna Be Your Man, Little Child, Hold Me Tight
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.