The b-side was the 1970 track ‘Working Class Hero’.
[‘Imagine’] is anti-religious, anti-nationalistic, anti-conventional, anti-capitalistic… but because it is sugar-coated, it is accepted.
Although originally released in 1971, ‘Imagine’ was not issued as a UK single at the time. Its belated release in 1975 was to coincide with the release of the Shaved Fish compilation.
‘Imagine’ reached number six on the singles chart. Following Lennon’s death in 1980 the song re-entered the charts, and spent four weeks at number one in January 1981.
Also on this day...
- 2015: Ringo Starr live at Grand Theater, Mashantucket, Connecticut
- 1980: UK single release: (Just Like) Starting Over by John Lennon
- 1969: Paul McCartney denies reports of his death
- 1969: UK single release: Cold Turkey by Plastic Ono Band
- 1968: George Harrison produces Is This What You Want? by Jackie Lomax
- 1968: Mixing, editing: Yellow Submarine film score
- 1965: Recording: I’m Looking Through You
- 1964: Live: Granada Cinema, Walthamstow, London
- 1963: Radio: Karlaplansstudion, Stockholm, Sweden
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.