The day after her 21st birthday, Paul McCartney and Jane Asher spent the day exploring the Rocky Mountains in Denver, Colorado.
The Beatles’ assistant Mal Evans hired a Hertz rental car and drove them into the mountains. They parked away from the road among some trees where they walked down a rocky gorge to a river, where they paddled in the cold water. Afterwards they walked barefoot in snowdrifts.
In the evening McCartney and Asher ate a large meal at the house they borrowed from Bert Rosenthal, and afterwards fell asleep in front of his colour television.
Last updated: 30 December 2010
Also on this day...
- 1967: Mixing: Sgt Pepper crossfades, Good Morning Good Morning
- 1966: Recording: Tomorrow Never Knows
- 1965: UK EP release: Beatles For Sale
- 1965: Filming: Help!
- 1964: Filming: A Hard Day’s Night
- 1963: Live: Pavilion Gardens Ballroom, Buxton
- 1962: Live: Tower Ballroom, New Brighton, Wallasey
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.