There was just one show on this night, instead of the usual two. The guest performers including Freddie And The Dreamers, Sounds Incorporated, Elkie Brooks, The Yardbirds, Michael Haslam, The Mike Cotton Sound and Ray Fell. The compère was Jimmy Savile.
The Beatles appeared in two sketches, one with Freddie Garrity of Freddie And The Dreamers, and another with Jimmy Savile. They closed the shows with an 11-song set: Twist And Shout, I'm A Loser, Baby's In Black, Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby, Can't Buy Me Love, Honey Don't, I Feel Fine, She's A Woman, A Hard Day's Night, Rock And Roll Music and Long Tall Sally.
Also on this day...
- 2017: Arise, Sir Richard! Ringo Starr is knighted for services to music
- 1969: John Lennon and Yoko Ono fly to Aalborg, Denmark
- 1966: Recording, mixing, editing: When I’m Sixty-Four, Strawberry Fields Forever, Penny Lane
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.