The Beatles’ 37th evening show at the Cavern Club took place on this date. Also on the bill were the Yorkshire Jazz Band.
They weren’t playing our type of music and we weren’t playing theirs. I know John Lennon later said that jazz was shit, but he wouldn’t have dared say it to our faces. I’m an ex-Commando, Bob [Frettlohr] is ex-para and Martin Boland is an ex-rugby league professional with a very short fuse.
The Cavern, Spencer Leigh
Overall this was The Beatles’ 105th appearance at the underground Mathew Street venue, including their more common lunchtime shows.
Also on this day...
- 2017: Arise, Sir Richard! Ringo Starr is knighted for services to music
- 1969: John Lennon and Yoko Ono fly to Aalborg, Denmark
- 1966: Recording, mixing, editing: When I’m Sixty-Four, Strawberry Fields Forever, Penny Lane
- 1964: Live: Another Beatles Christmas Show
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.