Recording began from 8.30pm, and took place before an audience at BBC Television Centre’s Studio One. A number of items from Lennon’s book In His Own Write were recited: About The Awful, the biography from the book’s back cover, was read by Lennon alone; he and Norman Rossington then recited Good Dog Nigel and The Wrestling Dog; the pair were joined by Moore for All Abord Speeching; finally Rossington and Moore read Unhappy Frank.
Lennon also appeared briefly as the closing credits rolled. After filming was complete he joined George Harrison for drinks, before the pair went to the Crazy Elephant club at 57-58 Jermyn Street, London, where they met two members of The Miracles.
Also on this day...
- 2016: George Harrison’s What Is Life gets new video
- 2012: Paul McCartney live at Rexall Place, Edmonton, Canada
- 2001: George Harrison dies
- 1968: UK album release: Two Virgins by John Lennon and Yoko Ono
- 1967: Editing: Christmas Time (Is Here Again)
- 1966: Recording, mixing: Strawberry Fields Forever
- 1965: Radio: Saturday Club
- 1963: Live: ABC Cinema, Huddersfield
- 1963: UK single release: I Want To Hold Your Hand
- 1962: Live: Majestic Ballroom, Birkenhead
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1960: Paul McCartney and Pete Best are arrested in Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.