The session took place from 7-11pm in Studio Two. The Beatles worked on just one song, Baby's In Black. They began by recording 14 takes, just five of which were complete.
During the session Lennon and McCartney sang their vocals parts simultaneously into the same microphone. After the track was completed, George Harrison recorded 13 further attempts at the opening guitar note, in a range of styles, although none were used on the finished version.
Also on this day...
- 1969: Recording, editing: I Want You (She’s So Heavy), Oh! Darling, Here Comes The Sun
- 1969: John Lennon and Yoko Ono move into Tittenhurst Park
- 1967: The Beatles are photographed by Richard Avedon
- 1966: Travel: London to Chicago
- 1963: Live: ABC Theatre, Blackpool
- 1962: Live: Odd Spot Club, Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.