The Beatles played at the Riverpark Ballroom in Chester on four Thursdays in the summer of 1962. This was the final show.
The building, at 2 Union Street, Chester, was originally the King’s Arms Tavern. In the early 20th century it was enlarged and became the Grosvenor Skating Rink, then the Broadway Dancing Academy Ballroom, known as the Ack. In the 1950s it was renamed the Riverpark Ballroom, but closed in 1963 and was later demolished. It is now the site of a bank’s office.
Also on this day...
- 2010: Lennon handwritten note goes on sale
- 2005: US album release: Chaos And Creation In The Backyard by Paul McCartney
- 1969: Plastic Ono Band live at the Toronto Rock and Roll Revival festival
- 1968: Recording: Glass Onion
- 1967: Filming: Magical Mystery Tour
- 1965: Zak Starkey is born
- 1965: US single release: Yesterday
- 1964: Live: Civic Center, Baltimore
- 1963: Live: Public Hall, Preston
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1960: Live: Indra Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.