This was The Beatles’ second and final concert in Preston, Lancashire. They had performed in the town’s Public Hall on one prior occasion, 26 October 1962.
After the show, Paul McCartney drove to the Imperial Ballroom in Nelson, 25 miles from Preston, to be part of the judging panel for the Imperial Miss 1963 contest. Sponsored by the Nelson Leader newspaper, the competition was part of the annual Young Ones’ Ball.
Also on this day...
- 2010: Lennon handwritten note goes on sale
- 2005: US album release: Chaos And Creation In The Backyard by Paul McCartney
- 1969: Plastic Ono Band live at the Toronto Rock and Roll Revival festival
- 1968: Recording: Glass Onion
- 1967: Filming: Magical Mystery Tour
- 1965: Zak Starkey is born
- 1965: US single release: Yesterday
- 1964: Live: Civic Center, Baltimore
- 1962: Live: Riverpark Ballroom, Chester
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1960: Live: Indra Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.