This was the second occasion on which The Beatles performed both lunchtime and evening shows in the same day at Liverpool’s Cavern Club.
The group’s lunchtime shows typically lasted from 12-2pm. This was their 16th lunchtime show, and their 18th appearance overall at the underground venue on Mathew Street. In the evening they gave their third late show at the club.
Although the precise number of their Cavern performances is not known, The Beatles played at least 155 lunchtime and 125 evening shows. Their final performance at the venue took place on 3 August 1963.
Also on this day...
- 2019: Album release: Amoeba Gig by Paul McCartney
- 2014: Ringo Starr live at Greek Theatre, Los Angeles, California
- 2013: Paul McCartney live at Safeco Field, Seattle
- 1968: Recording: Sexy Sadie
- 1967: Lennon and McCartney sing on The Rolling Stones’ We Love You
- 1967: The Beatles discuss purchasing a Greek island
- 1965: US single release: Help!
- 1964: Television: Blackpool Night Out
- 1963: Live: Ritz Ballroom, Rhyl
- 1962: Live: Majestic Ballroom, Birkenhead
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.