The album was recorded on 27 June 2007 at the Amoeba Music record store in Hollywood, Los Angeles.
It was the first time the full concert had been released. Four songs had been released on 13 November 2007 as the Amoeba’s Secret EP, and three others were on formats of McCartney’s ‘Ever Present Past’ single that year. And in 2010 the UK’s Mail on Sunday newspaper gave away a CD, Live In Los Angeles, which contained 12 tracks from the Amoeba show.
Amoeba Gig contained the full show, including seven recordings that were previously unreleased: ‘The Long And Winding Road’, ‘I’ll Follow The Sun’, ‘Calico Skies’, ‘I’ve Got A Feeling’, ‘Matchbox’, ‘Baby Face’, and ‘Let It Be’.
Furthermore, the vinyl edition contained a bonus recording of ‘Coming Up’ from the Amoeba soundcheck.
The album was not a commercial success, spending just one week on the UK album chart, at number 82.
Also on this day...
- 2014: Ringo Starr live: Greek Theatre, Los Angeles, California
- 2013: Paul McCartney live: Safeco Field, Seattle
- 1968: Recording: Sexy Sadie
- 1967: Lennon and McCartney sing on The Rolling Stones’ We Love You
- 1967: The Beatles discuss purchasing a Greek island
- 1965: US single release: Help!
- 1964: Television: Blackpool Night Out
- 1963: Live: Ritz Ballroom, Rhyl
- 1962: Live: Majestic Ballroom, Birkenhead
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.