Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Stowe School, April 1963
23 August 2023
6.40pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

The full concert at Stowe School first appeared about a week ago on Japanese bootlegs, it’s now circulating around the net and is (currently – no idea what claim Apple or anyone else has to the recording so no idea if it can be taken down) on YouTube. On the bootlegs are the unprocessed untouched mono tape as it comes along with a second disc where the tape has been tweaked with AI to improve the sound (it’s similar to the Star Club tapes at times).

For many Beatles fans this is bigger and more significant/important than whatever Apple are going to be releasing in the coming months; the first complete Beatles UK concert to appear (not from the BBC or a mini-show like the ‘Poll Winners’ performances). There was also the fear the concert would be another recording which the masses would get to hear having been put into a library under heavy listening conditions so this is met by surprise, relief and excitement.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Richard, kelicopter, Joe, StrawberrySauce, Von Bontee, Shamrock Womlbs, Rube

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

24 August 2023
9.08am
kelicopter
Sitting in an English Garden
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1110

What an amazing piece of history! And recorded not too far away from where I grew up! How incredible that there are still new Beatle things to discover after all these years heart

The following people thank kelicopter for this post:

Richard, Von Bontee, Rube, Ahhh Girl

I think it's great you're going through a phase,

and I'm awfully glad it'll all be over in a couple

of days

funniestpost-3.png 2020

25 August 2023
8.56pm
Von Bontee
496 km NW of the '69 Toronto Rock n Roll Revival
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5457

Thanks for the heads-up Mmm! And thanks to whoever leaked it, and especially to young John Bloomfield for recording it (and I still choose to believe that he’s a distant relation of mine)

Listening now ’cause who knows if some blue meanie at Apple will take it down tomorrow…

The following people thank Von Bontee for this post:

Rube

Paul: Yeah well… first of all, we’re bringing out a ‘Stamp Out Detroit’ campaign.

26 August 2023
7.41am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534

I don’t believe Apple have any legal standing to demand it be taken down, vb, even if they have managed to buy the tape from Bloomfield since its discovery — which seems highly unlikely given I very much doubt Apple would have a copy for public access in the British Library if they owned the tape.

I don’t believe even Bloomfield could get it taken down, as it would appear to be out of copyright.

In the EU and UK copyright runs for 70 years from a recording’s release date, however if a recording hasn’t been released or broadcast within 50 years of its recording or else it becomes “public domain” — leading to the string of very limited edition releases over the past decade from many artists to secure the copyright on the recordings, especially Dylan.

So, how I understand that is that an unreleased or unbroadcast recording made in April 1963 loses its copyright at the end of 2013 and becomes public domain.

Seems to me to have been out of copyright for a decade when its existence was first revealed.

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

Rube, Von Bontee, Ahhh Girl, Richard

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

26 August 2023
3.12pm
Shamrock Womlbs
Waiting for the van to come
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3975

Does anyone know if the improved version is available to listen to somewhere?

"I Need You by George Harrison"

26 August 2023
4.23pm
Von Bontee
496 km NW of the '69 Toronto Rock n Roll Revival
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5457

Ron Nasty said

I don’t believe even Bloomfield could get it taken down, as it would appear to be out of copyright.

In the EU and UK copyright runs for 70 years from a recording’s release date, however if a recording hasn’t been released or broadcast within 50 years of its recording or else it becomes “public domain” — leading to the string of very limited edition releases over the past decade from many artists to secure the copyright on the recordings, especially Dylan.

That makes sense, thanks – I was envisioning another scenario like when Apple took Sony to court over their Star-Club CD release, but of course that recording was only 36 years old at the time, in ’98…

(…additionally, I missed your months-ago “Beatles News” posting about the British Library’s acquisition of the recording 🙁 )

And a fascinating recording it is, to say the least! I have thoughts:

– Recording is as bad as Star-Club, but in a different way. And on that note, It’s amazing how little crossover there is between this Stowe set and what got recorded in Hamburg four months earlier; only 8 of the 21 Stowe numbers appear on both recordings

– The vocal enthusiasm from this audience should put to rest forever the silly declaration made by some that the Beatles were just “a girl’s band”

– Paul namedrops The Big Three in his “Some Other Guy” intro, cool!

– Hey, how about that one kid who shouts out a request for “Long Tall Sally “, which the Beatles won’t record in studio for another year: How could he have known that Little Richard’s song was a fixture in the Beatles’ live performances? Did he just assume that any decent rock band would have that number in their repertoire…or alternatively, had he possibly already seen the Beatles in concert previously?? Maybe the kid was a Liverpudlian who’d been to the Cavern? Intriguing!

– Wow, Beatles play both the A and B side of a single, consecutively, that’s pretty unprecedented. (Single is still a few days from release)

The following people thank Von Bontee for this post:

Richard

Paul: Yeah well… first of all, we’re bringing out a ‘Stamp Out Detroit’ campaign.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2862
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5520
Newest Members:
rover, rainontuesday, 9intheafternoon, NJtoTX, seo mavia
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22240, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694