Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Book included in the 2017 anniversary Sgt. Pepper's box set
19 July 2017
3.43pm
Martha
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1277
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

General information about the book included in the anniversary box set of Sgt. Pepper ‘s Lonely Hearts Club Band:

Pages: 144

Authors: Kevin Howlett, Joe Boyd, Ed Vulliamy, Howard Goodall, Jeff Slate

Foreword by Paul McCartney and Giles Martin

Chapters:

Introduction

The Path To Pepper

The London Underground

The World In 1967

Songs And Recording Details

Sgt. Pepper ‘s Musical Revolution

The Cover Story

Sgt. Pepper Arrives

Sgt. Pepper in America

Lyrics

The following people thank Martha for this post:

SgtPeppersBulldog

Not once does the diversity seem forced -- the genius of the record is how the vaudevillian "When I'm 64" seems like a logical extension of "Within You Without You" and how it provides a gateway to the chiming guitars of "Lovely Rita. - Stephen T. Erlewine on Sgt Pepper's

19 July 2017
3.43pm
Martha
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1277

What do you think of the book which is included in the Sgt. Pepper’s anniversary box set?  

Since I, unfortunately, don’t know that many Beatles books I don’t know whether there are many repetitions or whether there is even any new material in there, at all. But from my inexperienced point of view, I have to say, I really like it.

There is lots of interesting material like newspaper articles or handwritten lyrics included, the pictures are always meaningful, and the categories are very well chosen. The style of writing and structure of the book is also very pleasing but what marked the highlight for me was the detailed info for each song. The most essential, also technical details at times, was mentioned and it was still funny to read. The way, the tracks of the outtakes on the CD are incorporated into the text in bold letters (so that one can immediately look up the information on every piece one is listening to on the CD) is an additional plus.

My only critic would be the layout. Sure there is a reason we all know for brightly colouring the pages but it’s still hard to read and hurts in the eyes at times. It’s also a pity, the book has no real name. Or have I missed it?

Other than that, I can only recommend it! But what are your thoughts on it?

Not once does the diversity seem forced -- the genius of the record is how the vaudevillian "When I'm 64" seems like a logical extension of "Within You Without You" and how it provides a gateway to the chiming guitars of "Lovely Rita. - Stephen T. Erlewine on Sgt Pepper's

19 July 2017
3.55pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4470

I’d love to see this book, maybe i can find it on the internet somewhere, it seems like a great read.

If you're reading this, you are looking for something to do.

19 July 2017
4.06pm
sir walter raleigh
In our yellow (IN OUR YELLOW) submarine (SUBMARINE AHA!)
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5789

I like how each song on Pepper gets its own treatment 50 years later. If you’re looking to study the Pepper album, I found it to be the most interesting read of any other book i’ve read. There is also a lot of cool information that was new to me. On the other hand, the happenings in the studio during that time have been recorded and released elsewhere long before this book, so many aspects of the book repeat. 

One thing I used to do was read Beatles books with the idea that it will have nothing to teach me. I have since realized how stupid that is and found this to be a great read, similar to the Anthology in many aspects. 

The following people thank sir walter raleigh for this post:

Martha, WeepingAtlasCedars

"The pump don't work cause the vandals took the handles!"

-Bob Dylan, Subterranean Homesick Blues

"We could ride and surf together while our love would grow"

-Brian Wilson, Surfer Girl

19 July 2017
4.20pm
Shamrock Womlbs
Waiting for the van to come
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3974

I haven’t read it yet. But i’d make it all Songs And Recording Details. I don’t care too much about the other stuff.

"I Need You by George Harrison"

19 July 2017
4.23pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964

Dark Overlord said
I’d love to see this book, maybe i can find it on the internet somewhere, it seems like a great read.  

Go and buy the box.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed, Dark Overlord, WeepingAtlasCedars

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

19 July 2017
4.43pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4470

Even if i wanted to i can’t because I’ve only got like $2 right now.

If you're reading this, you are looking for something to do.

20 July 2017
7.29am
ewe2
Inside the beat
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3025

I enjoyed Howard Goodall’s essay the most. You can catch some idea of his general theme on youtube here:

The PBS Pepper-specific program is here, but I can’t watch it because it’s geoblocked:

http://www.pbs.org/program/sgt…..evolution/

The following people thank ewe2 for this post:

Flyingbrians, Martha, WeepingAtlasCedars

I'm like Necko only I'm a bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin and also everyone. Or is everyone me? Now I'm a confused bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin everyone who is definitely not @Joe.  This has been true for 2016 & 2017 Sig-Badge.png but I may have to get more specific in the future.

aus-flag-v-small.png

20 July 2017
7.39am
Flyingbrians
Robin Hood Country
Paris Olympia
Members
Forum Posts: 363

ewe2 said
I enjoyed Howard Goodall’s essay the most. You can catch some idea of his general theme on youtube here:

Great programme, I watched it when it was first broadcast. 

In regards to the book, I have it but haven’t really read it yet. I’ve skimmed through it mainly, particularly the handwritten lyrics section. 

"And life flows on within you and without you" - George Harrison

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2860
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5520
Newest Members:
9intheafternoon, NJtoTX, seo mavia, adamo3, katybphoto
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22240, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694