Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
1 (One) (2015 Remixes)
13 November 2015
9.08am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 25006
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

As suggested in the ”1+’ – Official Promo Films + 2015 Remixed CD‘ thread there should be a separate thread for the CD.

Personally i’ve only heard upto ‘Help !’ so far and im underwhelmed as Ringo’s drums are too low (most noticeable in ‘I Feel Fine ‘) as is Paul’s bass (e.g. in ‘Help ‘). I’m all in favour of remixing the catalogue but i do feel they could have done better, fans already have.

———————————————————————————————————————————–

I posted the below in the above linked thread but its relevant here (i can’t figure out how to quote in a quote)

———————————————————————————————————————————–

BBC interview with Giles Martin.

Covers why Ringo’s drums are lower in the mix for some of the tracks

The rear speakers present a separate challenge. Rather than placing Ringo’s drums behind the listener, or making vocals circle the room, Martin opts for restraint.

and he admits to an error

Martin confesses to one glaring mistake: The stereo mix of Lennon and McCartney’s kitchen sink symphony A Day In The Life is missing a piano, because he opted to use the version created for the Cirque Du Soleil show, Love.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Expert Textpert, Bongo

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

13 November 2015
9.16am
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5015

I agree. The bass and drums are not loud enough. It was most noticeable on Come Together on first listen. But the more I listen, the more it becomes apparent on other tracks as well. It is nice to not have the vocals all in one ear, though. Hopefully Martin can improve if he does more.

"If you're ever in the shit, grab my tit.” —Paul McCartney 

13 November 2015
4.56pm
ewe2
Inside the beat
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3029

Is there anything good about the CD remix though? I can’t say that I’m encouraged to purchase by what I’m hearing.

The following people thank ewe2 for this post:

Beatlebug, Bongo

I'm like Necko only I'm a bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin and also everyone. Or is everyone me? Now I'm a confused bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin everyone who is definitely not @Joe.  This has been true for 2016 & 2017 Sig-Badge.png but I may have to get more specific in the future.

aus-flag-v-small.png

13 November 2015
5.04pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

ewe2 said
Is there anything good about the CD remix though? I can’t say that I’m encouraged to purchase by what I’m hearing.

If you care enough the vocals are centered.

Personally i’d rather have a strong mix with the vocals to one side than an average one with them centered. 

Bongo

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

13 November 2015
5.06pm
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18202

ewe2 exclaimed 

ahdn_paul_06 Just what I was wondering! Not that I’m thinking of purchasing anyway, as I’m happy with the Past Masters mixes which I shall (hopefully) be getting for Christmas. No point in getting the same songs twice. 

The following people thank Beatlebug for this post:

ewe2, Bongo

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

13 November 2015
5.43pm
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5015

Yes, the vocals are centered, so it is less annoying in that respect. It’s more like the mono mixes except that it’s not mono, if that makes any sense. I would say listen and decide for yourself. The CD is not horrible or excellent.

The following people thank Expert Textpert for this post:

ewe2

"If you're ever in the shit, grab my tit.” —Paul McCartney 

13 November 2015
5.47pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

Expert Textpert said
Yes, the vocals are centered, so it is less annoying in that respect. It’s more like the mono mixes except that it’s not mono, if that makes any sense. I would say listen and decide for yourself. The CD is not horrible or excellent.

The idea was to have stereo mixes that were more similar to the mono mixes. 

13 November 2015
7.42pm
ewe2
Inside the beat
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3029

Ahh well that makes more sense but it also makes the bad mixing worse because that’s the opposite effect from what we’d want. I’m with you MMM, panning isn’t the issue, a good mix is what we want.

I'm like Necko only I'm a bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin and also everyone. Or is everyone me? Now I'm a confused bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin everyone who is definitely not @Joe.  This has been true for 2016 & 2017 Sig-Badge.png but I may have to get more specific in the future.

aus-flag-v-small.png

13 November 2015
9.51pm
Bongo
Somewhere In Time
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1916

Sounds like a download to me.  Not worth spending my hard earned $$$$ on another re-re-re-re-re-release!  apple01  I’ll stick with the 2009 CD’s.

Sorry, not trying to sound negative, but I guess that’s how it sounds. a-hard-days-night-paul-7

The following people thank Bongo for this post:

Beatlebug

Screen-Shot-2022-10-04-at-7.52.07-PM.png   BEATLES Music gives me Eargasms!  apple01

14 November 2015
1.03am
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1913

I don’t have either……..Which is best?

14 November 2015
4.07am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

I’d say go with the 2009 remasters and then start working out to the remixes if you so desire to go that way.

However other highly criticise the 2009 remasters and claim various alternate official releases and/or bootlegs (Dr Ebbets and others) are vastly superior; something to do with high-ends, EQ and other stuff i neither understand or can make out when listening. I think its more noticeable if you buy a $10,000 hi-fi system and $3,000 earphones.

Zig, Bongo

14 November 2015
9.40am
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9831

I don’t understand the need to remix any of the songs, especially when they have already been remastered. As I said in the other thread, I can’t see myself listening to the CD for any reason. As far as I am concerned, it is just dead weight that came along with the 2 DVD’s containing the videos. Still absolutely loving that set.

The following people thank Zig for this post:

Bongo

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

14 November 2015
10.33am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

Should say that the mixes of ‘FAAB’ and ‘RL’ on the second disc of the DVD/Blu-ray are in my opinion superior to those released in the 90’s. They have more of a group togetherness instead of sounding like two John Lennon demo’s overdubbed by three bandmates almost thirty years later.

14 November 2015
10.48am
Beatlebug

Moderators

meanmistermustard said
Should say that the mixes of ‘FAAB’ and ‘RL’ on the second disc of the DVD/Blu-ray are in my opinion superior to those released in the 90’s. They have more of a group togetherness instead of sounding like two John Lennon demo’s overdubbed by three bandmates almost thirty years later.

That’s a plus. I always felt like they were as you describe them. 

([{BRACKETS!}])
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png

14 November 2015
10.53am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

I actually dont mind playing the two reunion tracks now whereas before it was a bit of a drag. a-hard-days-night-ringo-6heart

Beatlebug

14 November 2015
1.04pm
Beatlebug

Moderators

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8 Glad I’m not the only one. Real Love is nice enough but Free As A Bird always sounds to me like it’s sung by a resurrected dead person.

Oh, wait a minute… a-hard-days-night-george-10 

The following people thank Beatlebug for this post:

Bongo

([{BRACKETS!}])
whiteheart.png

14 November 2015
1.45pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

Real Love ‘ sounded if John was singing inside the bag he mentioned in ‘The Ballad Of John And Yoko ‘ outside the studio with the door slightly ajar whilst the band were playing straight in the studio. Now its like John is in the studio and they’ve just put on a strange effect on his vocal and its a little low in the mix.

Does this sync with what i wrote above? 

…sounding like two John Lennon demo’s overdubbed by three bandmates almost thirty years later.

If not then make it so. a-hard-days-night-john-5

Beatlebug

14 November 2015
4.54pm
Bongo
Somewhere In Time
Candlestick Park
Members

Zig said
I don’t understand the need to remix any of the songs, especially when they have already been remastered. As I said in the other thread, I can’t see myself listening to the CD for any reason. As far as I am concerned, it is just dead weight that came along with the 2 DVD’s containing the videos. Still absolutely loving that set.

This is what I’ve been reading all over the net.  At least they made some nice 4K quality Videos! heart

The following people thank Bongo for this post:

Zig

Screen-Shot-2022-10-04-at-7.52.07-PM.png   BEATLES Music gives me Eargasms!  apple01

16 November 2015
1.21am
PokerMan
Junior's Farm
The Kaiserkeller
Members
Forum Posts: 51

Zig said

Because you can improve the fidelity a lot more if you go back to the first generation multi-tracks than if you remaster from the final mixes. The original mixes required much bouncing down of tracks, so the final 4-track master was often 2nd, 3rd or even 4th generation. Now, using digital technology, they can return to the first generation tapes and sync them to the tracks adding after the bouncing down occurred, which gives far greater flexibility than just mixing from the final 4-track tape.

Also, the original stereo mixes pre-1968 were made with little care, and casual fans aren’t interested in listening to the Beatles’ music in mono. I prefer these new mixes to the original stereo mixes because they use the mono mixes as the template. For the first time, casual fans buying the 1 CD will be able to hear Paperback Writer in all its glory, with the guitar sounding strong and powerful as it does in the mono mix.

The following people thank PokerMan for this post:

Father McCartney, Wigwam, Beatlebug
16 November 2015
6.14pm
Bongo
Somewhere In Time
Candlestick Park
Members

PokerMan said

Zig said
I don’t understand the need to remix any of the songs, especially when they have already been remastered. As I said in the other thread, I can’t see myself listening to the CD for any reason. 

Because you can improve the fidelity a lot more if you go back to the first generation multi-tracks than if you remaster from the final mixes. 

Isn’t that what they did in 2009?????

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 189
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9831
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8047
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6396
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2888
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5543
Newest Members:
GSouthall, Gruveman, noiamthewalrus_
Moderators: Joe: 5699, meanmistermustard: 25006, Ahhh Girl: 22379, Beatlebug: 18202, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5699