Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
1 (One) (2015 Remixes)
16 November 2015
6.17pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24944
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I heard ‘Something ‘ earlier as it came on when my iPod was in random mode. Its certainly better than the earlier mixes i’ve heard but there is still something missing; maybe its because i’m so familiar to the original mix – but then i dont feel that way when hearing fan remixes. I don’t know what it is but its certainly not a better mix in my opinion.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

17 November 2015
12.01am
PokerMan
Junior's Farm
The Kaiserkeller
Members
Forum Posts: 51

Bongo said

PokerMan said

Zig said
I don’t understand the need to remix any of the songs, especially when they have already been remastered. As I said in the other thread, I can’t see myself listening to the CD for any reason. 

Because you can improve the fidelity a lot more if you go back to the first generation multi-tracks than if you remaster from the final mixes. 

Isn’t that what they did in 2009?????

No, the 2009 remasters were made from the original 60s mono and stereo mixes, not the original multi-track tapes. These are completely new mixes made from the original multi-track tapes.

17 November 2015
9.11am
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5011

I’ve been seeing some favorable reviews of the remixes. I’m giving them my third listen and I may be warming up to them a little.

"If you're ever in the shit, grab my tit.” —Paul McCartney 

17 November 2015
10.11am
realRL
St Peters Church
Members
Forum Posts: 12

I’ve came across the Beatles Vevo Channel (official) where they gave us some previews and some full length videos from the 1+ album.

The Day in the Life is there:

A Day In The Life

Now, let’s listen to the part of the song from 1:50 – 2:16.

The whole orchestra crescendos sound more clear – and you can hear the piano the whole time, while in 2009 remasters (either mono or stereo), the piano is ‘burried’ under other instruments of the orchestra and it is harder to notice it.

In another words, the crescendos in 1+ remaster sound more musical, while the previous 2009 remasters have more noise and sound less pleasant to ears. apple02

17 November 2015
10.48am
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5011

Martin used the “Beatles Love” mix of A Day In The Life instead of the original mix.

It’s here in this article:

http://www.bbc.com/news/entert…..s-34766693

The following people thank Expert Textpert for this post:

Joe

"If you're ever in the shit, grab my tit.” —Paul McCartney 

21 November 2015
6.21pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

Listened to the rest of ‘1’ today (‘Yesterday ‘ thru to the end) plus seven tracks from the second dvd/blu-ray. Going with the positives the remixes that I thought were good were

Everything else i didnt think was any better than we had before had. ‘Eleanor Rigby ‘ is easily the most successful of the lot, if anything its a vast improvement of the original mix – never cared for the ‘Yellow Submarine Songtrack ‘ mix. It now sounds like a complete drama with the strings adding so much.

Probably about half of the others are listenable but no better than what we had, the others aren’t as good.

Regarding ‘A Day In The Life ‘ its a more powerful mix, especially the ‘ahh’ part, but I really missed the panning effects, yet i didnt care for how they have now split John’s breaths (after Paul sings “looking up I noticed I was late”) so they jump between the left and right speakers. Plus some of John’s silliness when Paul is singing has either been buried or removed entirely. ahdn_paul_01

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

21 November 2015
6.24pm
ewe2
Inside the beat
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3025

An Eleanor Rigby better than Yellow Submarine Songtrack ? This I must hear!

I'm like Necko only I'm a bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin and also everyone. Or is everyone me? Now I'm a confused bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin everyone who is definitely not @Joe.  This has been true for 2016 & 2017 Sig-Badge.png but I may have to get more specific in the future.

aus-flag-v-small.png

21 November 2015
6.29pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

I never cared for the ‘YSS’ mix yet never knew why. Turns out that they made a mistake and Paul’s vocal slips out of sync.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

ewe2

22 November 2015
5.24pm
georgiewood
In my tree
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 792

realRL said
I’ve came across the Beatles Vevo Channel (official) where they gave us some previews and some full length videos from the 1+ album.

A Day In The Life

The whole orchestra crescendos sound more clear – and you can hear the piano the whole time, while in 2009 remasters (either mono or stereo), the piano is ‘burried’ under other instruments of the orchestra and it is harder to notice it.

In another words, the crescendos in 1+ remaster sound more musical, while the previous 2009 remasters have more noise and sound less pleasant to ears. apple02

Thanks for the link, @realRL.  I liked the video part of it too.  

Oh, BTW, I noticed that John was singing the “ahhhs.”  Good to know. Heh, heh.a-hard-days-night-john-5

The following people thank georgiewood for this post:

trcanberra

I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did'.
Kurt Vonnegut, Timequake, 1997

22 November 2015
5.30pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

georgiewood said

realRL said

A Day In The Life

Thanks for the link, @realRL.  I liked the video part of it too.  

Oh, BTW, I noticed that John was singing the “ahhhs.”  Good to know. Heh, heh.a-hard-days-night-john-5

3439783.gifImage Enlarger

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Ahhh Girl, trcanberra, Wigwam, Beatlebug, ewe2, long long long

22 November 2015
8.30pm
Bongo
Somewhere In Time
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1916

meanmistermustard said
Should say that the mixes of ‘FAAB’ and ‘RL’ on the second disc of the DVD/Blu-ray are in my opinion superior to those released in the 90’s. They have more of a group togetherness instead of sounding like two John Lennon demo’s overdubbed by three bandmates almost thirty years later.

Gotta find a way to download the audio to these 2 songs.  Too bad I couldn’t just purchase both songs from iTunes, because it’s just the CD, not the Blu Ray soundtracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?…..Jo_YEbiBv8

Screen-Shot-2022-10-04-at-7.52.07-PM.png   BEATLES Music gives me Eargasms!  apple01

22 November 2015
9.05pm
Bongo
Somewhere In Time
Candlestick Park
Members

Zig said
I don’t understand the need to remix any of the songs, especially when they have already been remastered. As I said in the other thread, I can’t see myself listening to the CD for any reason. As far as I am concerned, it is just dead weight that came along with the 2 DVD’s containing the videos. Still absolutely loving that set.

I gotta agree with you Zig.  I just did a comparison test from the “iTunes Store” to my iTunes (2009 Stereo CD’s) and don’t find the differences that worthy. 

The following people thank Bongo for this post:

Zig

Screen-Shot-2022-10-04-at-7.52.07-PM.png   BEATLES Music gives me Eargasms!  apple01

25 November 2015
10.56pm
ewe2
Inside the beat
Rishikesh
Members

meanmistermustard said

I never cared for the ‘YSS’ mix yet never knew why. Turns out that they made a mistake and Paul’s vocal slips out of sync.

Those are some insightful gripes on that album. Don’t agree with everything, but like I said some time ago, just give us the multitracks already and someone would do the best job and we can just make our own wacky samples and have a dance party.

I'm like Necko only I'm a bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin and also everyone. Or is everyone me? Now I'm a confused bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin everyone who is definitely not @Joe.  This has been true for 2016 & 2017 Sig-Badge.png but I may have to get more specific in the future.

aus-flag-v-small.png

2 December 2015
10.39am
Bongo
Somewhere In Time
Candlestick Park
Members

Wigwam said
I don’t have either……..Which is best?

a-hard-days-night-ringo-15  I’ve been meaning to ask you Ww.  Did you mean you don’t have either 2009 (Stereo or Mono) CD set, and which is better?? a-hard-days-night-paul-7

Or am I asking the wrong question??????

2 December 2015
3.05pm
KaleidoscopeMusic
Ed Sullivan Show
Members
Forum Posts: 481

I’ve noticed “discrepancies” in the album. I haven’t paid attention to differences in the songs, but what has struck out to me the most is how clean-cut they are. When the Beatles started recording, their instruments were not completely fine-tuned and everything was done without loops and with terrible microphones. It seems to make the experience of listening to them more rewarding than having 2015 technology. Why would this be? 

Only music can save us.

3 December 2015
2.43am
ewe2
Inside the beat
Rishikesh
Members

KaleidoscopeMusic said

I’ve noticed “discrepancies” in the album. I haven’t paid attention to differences in the songs, but what has struck out to me the most is how clean-cut they are. When the Beatles started recording, their instruments were not completely fine-tuned and everything was done without loops and with terrible microphones. It seems to make the experience of listening to them more rewarding than having 2015 technology. Why would this be? 

The Beatles had access to some amazing gear that in some cases has never been rivalled, but microphone technology is a complicated business and it’s not just the microphone that is part of the story. It’s the room, its what it’s intended to capture, its distances, and then its the specific technology of the microphone. They had the benefit too, of one of the most unique time-keepers in the business, Ringo Starr . Not just regular time, regular time every single time. If you could have sampled that, it’d be the best-selling pack ever! And finally, the Beatles often detuned and retuned, sometimes the track was tweaked, sometimes it was necessary to tune to orchestral and brass instruments. So sometimes the “untuned” was tuned but sounds that way because the track was slowed. Or sped up. And sometimes it doesn’t matter when mixed with other similar instruments, and only a close listen to a stereo or 5.1 track betrays the difference. I suspect that working chiefly in mono makes a greater difference and has advantages that the stereo and beyond world don’t take into account.

In the end it’s the total effect and not the parts which are important. I think as a group the Beatles had a rare ability to hear that despite many retakes.

The following people thank ewe2 for this post:

KaleidoscopeMusic

aus-flag-v-small.png

3 December 2015
5.56pm
KaleidoscopeMusic
Ed Sullivan Show
Members

@ewe2 I suppose by “not tuned” I meant a similar feeling of them playing live. Do you mean that Ringo wasn’t used in the 1 album? I did notice a slight difference in the drumming in “Day Tripper ” that’s almost disappointing. a-hard-days-night-ringo-13

Only music can save us.

3 December 2015
6.06pm
ewe2
Inside the beat
Rishikesh
Members

I don’t know, they could have used a different take to mix with that. Are you saying that the way the mixes sound, they sound dead as if they were all multitracked and not playing as a group?

aus-flag-v-small.png

3 December 2015
6.36pm
KaleidoscopeMusic
Ed Sullivan Show
Members

Sort of. It’s hard for me to explain since I don’t know much about production but the quality just seems “clearer” to me. For some reason being restored isn’t the same. I probably just don’t have my volume loud enough or my headphones are different than regular speakers.

Only music can save us.

17 December 2015
6.11am
realRL
St Peters Church
Members
Forum Posts: 12

And I must say that Penny Lane sounds just great – clear, firm, strong – but also very gentle at the same time!

Probably the best sounding version so far, in my humble opinion.

The following people thank realRL for this post:

sigh butterfly
Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5508
Newest Members:
jsullivan2112_1, catadorademusica, Slowhand, mirrortime, Julie
Moderators: Joe: 5690, meanmistermustard: 24944, Ahhh Girl: 22198, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5690