Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
'1+' - Official Promo Films + 2015 Remixed CD
9 November 2015
11.41am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24950
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

The cartoons wont happen as some of the jokes, depictions of people and language used wouldn’t sit right with todays values and Apple wouldnt want to put the Beatles into such a position and risk knocking the brand image. Plus they dont like them that much.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

9 November 2015
12.29pm
Bongo
Somewhere In Time
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1916
202sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wigwam said
Hey ET…….There’s an old German lady at the pool every morning…….She saw Elvis and the Beatles in Frankfurt in the sixties but loves the opera.

From what I heard, Elvis never toured outside of N.A. a-hard-days-night-paul-10

The following people thank Bongo for this post:

Zig

Screen-Shot-2022-10-04-at-7.52.07-PM.png   BEATLES Music gives me Eargasms!  apple01

9 November 2015
12.29pm
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832

I watched both DVD’s only once over the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it all. There is talk above of the early stuff looking only marginally better. I thought it was much better than the footage I had from Anthology and elsewhere. I have to believe those who found the improvements “marginal” had much better copies than I to begin with for comparison. 

I was pleased to no end with how everything sounded in 5.1 surround. Even the stuff originally recorded in mono sounded great. As for the videos in color, I was blown away by the clarity. In particular, the Shea footage, the rooftop footage and ‘Strawberry Fields Forever ‘. I know this is “just” a collection of videos, but I am happy to have them all in one set sounding and looking better than they ever have before.

My only “I wish they had…” moment was when I realized that the book included in the 2 DVD/ 1 CD set was not separate, but part of the packaging. I thought that was a bit odd. Otherwise, I am thrilled with this set.

The following people thank Zig for this post:

trcanberra, Beatlebug

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

9 November 2015
12.32pm
Bongo
Somewhere In Time
Candlestick Park
Members

Too bad, you didn’t get the Blu Ray version Zig.  Some of the later stuff is 4K quality!  apple01

trcanberra

Screen-Shot-2022-10-04-at-7.52.07-PM.png   BEATLES Music gives me Eargasms!  apple01

9 November 2015
12.51pm
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832

I’ll buy it right after I buy a Blu-ray player.

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

9 November 2015
12.54pm
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5011

Bongo said

Wigwam said
Hey ET…….There’s an old German lady at the pool every morning…….She saw Elvis and the Beatles in Frankfurt in the sixties but loves the opera.

From what I heard, Elvis never toured outside of N.A. a-hard-days-night-paul-10

She could have been to see Elvis outside his house in Bad Nauheim when he lived in Germany. He signed autographs for the fans at a certain time every day…but that was not in the 60’s.

The following people thank Expert Textpert for this post:

Zig

"If you're ever in the shit, grab my tit.” —Paul McCartney 

9 November 2015
1.59pm
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 6064
207sp_Permalink sp_Print

Zig said
I watched both DVD’s only once over the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it all. There is talk above of the early stuff looking only marginally better. I thought it was much better than the footage I had from Anthology and elsewhere. I have to believe those who found the improvements “marginal” had much better copies than I to begin with for comparison. 

I was pleased to no end with how everything sounded in 5.1 surround. Even the stuff originally recorded in mono sounded great. As for the videos in color, I was blown away by the clarity. In particular, the Shea footage, the rooftop footage and ‘Strawberry Fields Forever ‘. I know this is “just” a collection of videos, but I am happy to have them all in one set sounding and looking better than they ever have before.

My only “I wish they had…” moment was when I realized that the book included in the 2 DVD/ 1 CD set was not separate, but part of the packaging. I thought that was a bit odd. Otherwise, I am thrilled with this set.

Sounds brilliant – it hits the local stores Friday so I will see how much and if they have the formats I want – otherwise I will do the online thing.

The following people thank trcanberra for this post:

Zig

==> trcanberra and hongkonglady - Together even when not (married for those not in the know!) <==

9 November 2015
5.45pm
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1913

Two things…… You must be right…….about Elvis…..When I asked her if she had any Beatle stories she said ‘Nein but I have a signed Elvis record’ So maybe when she said she’d seen Elvis I misunderstood.

With regards to the Beatles she says she saw them in Frankfurt and her father disapproved and asked her “Vy do you like ziss N—r music?”

I’m going to the pool in about 10 mins……..after she’s finished. She swims widths and get in my way so I try to avoid her times.

And the cartoons must be out somewhere….They are all on my android TV I watched 2 of them couple of months back and it had the whole series.

The following people thank Wigwam for this post:

Beatlebug
9 November 2015
10.52pm
PokerMan
Junior's Farm
The Kaiserkeller
Members
Forum Posts: 51
209sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said
Listening to the cd and it occured that the version of ‘Love Me Do ‘ is with Andy White on drums when the first UK single release was with Ringo playing them. Parlophone did switch them at some point in 1963 so was the version released on Toille the Andy White recording?

The version released as a single in the US was the Andy White version. I believe that the Ringo Starr version was released initially as a mistake and was therefore destroyed to avoid confusion prior to the US release of the song (Past Masters sources the Ringo Starr version from a vinyl record). Since Love Me Do was only number one in the US and not the UK, the US single version is included on 1.

The following people thank PokerMan for this post:

meanmistermustard
10 November 2015
3.42am
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1913
210sp_Permalink sp_Print

1+ isn’t out here………It will be an expensive import…..I’ll get a mate to bring one over.

10 November 2015
3.55am
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 6064
211sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wigwam said
1+ isn’t out here………It will be an expensive import…..I’ll get a mate to bring one over.

Send me the ticket and I’m on it.

==> trcanberra and hongkonglady - Together even when not (married for those not in the know!) <==

10 November 2015
6.17am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
212sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Wigwam said
Two things…… You must be right…….about Elvis…..When I asked her if she had any Beatle stories she said ‘Nein but I have a signed Elvis record’ So maybe when she said she’d seen Elvis I misunderstood.

With regards to the Beatles she says she saw them in Frankfurt and her father disapproved and asked her “Vy do you like ziss N—r music?”

Hate to question her memory further, but apart from Elvis not being in Germany after 2 March 1960, The Beatles never played Frankfurt. All of their pre-fame performances in Germany were in Hamburg (497km from Frankfurt). After they became famous they only returned to Germany to perform once, in June 1966, when they played three concerts: Munich on the 24th (393km from Frankfurt), Essen on the 25th (257km from Frankfurt), ending with a return to Hamburg on the 26th.

They went by train from concert to concert, and it is possible the train passed through Frankfurt during the day of the 25th. Frankfurt Airport was also a refuelling stop during their return flight from Australia on the 1st-2nd July 1964. There’s no evidence they got off the plane though (while it’s documented that Paul and Ringo did during the first refuelling stop in Singapore).

It’s just possible she saw them passing through Frankfurt, but definitely not performing there.

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

10 November 2015
7.45am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
213sp_Permalink sp_Print

Apple have uploaded a (very) short interview with Michael Lindsay-Hogg about the Revolution  video (2:29 and it includes extracts from the video!):

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

10 November 2015
1.46pm
Bongo
Somewhere In Time
Candlestick Park
Members
214sp_Permalink sp_Print

PokerMan said 

The version released as a single in the US was the Andy White version. I believe that the Ringo Starr version was released initially as a mistake and was therefore destroyed to avoid confusion prior to the US release of the song (Past Masters sources the Ringo Starr version from a vinyl record). Since Love Me Do was only number one in the US and not the UK, the US single version is included on 1.

Ya, if you wanted the Ringo version in the U.K., you had to buy the 1962 Red Parlophone single.

https://www.beatlesbible.com/g…..me-do/   a-hard-days-night-ringo-8

meanmistermustard

10 November 2015
3.48pm
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members
215sp_Permalink sp_Print

I just wanted to say I prefer the original stereo mix of Come Together to the 1+ remix.

10 November 2015
5.46pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
216sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’ve been listening to these slowly in stages; up to ‘Help !’ so far and not that impressed as it sounds like Ringo’s drums are lower in the mix for a good few (especially ‘I Feel Fine ‘) and Paul’s bass in ‘Help !’ is lower too. hopefully they improve later on

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

10 November 2015
5.48pm
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members
217sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said

I’ve been listening to these slowly in stages; up to ‘Help !’ so far and not that impressed as it sounds like Ringo’s drums are lower in the mix for a good few (especially ‘I Feel Fine ‘) and Paul’s bass in ‘Help !’ is lower too. hopefully they improve later on

Yes, I don’t remember which songs but it seemed several times that the vocals were overpowering the rest of the sounds.

10 November 2015
5.53pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

Also in ‘I Feel Fine ; Paul’s dog barking is mixed lower too – I love that bit.

The handclaps in ‘Eight Days A Week ‘ are too loud, almost dominate the new mix.

11 November 2015
4.28am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

BBC interview with Giles Martin.

Covers why Ringo’s drums are lower in the mix for some of the tracks

The rear speakers present a separate challenge. Rather than placing Ringo’s drums behind the listener, or making vocals circle the room, Martin opts for restraint.

and he admits to an error

Martin confesses to one glaring mistake: The stereo mix of Lennon and McCartney’s kitchen sink symphony A Day In The Life is missing a piano, because he opted to use the version created for the Cirque Du Soleil show, Love.

“All of these fans will be going: ‘Why did you take this piano off?’ And the answer is I didn’t – I just used the Love version,” he cringes.

11 November 2015
12.39pm
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members
220sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well, I didn’t notice anything when I saw the video.

A lot of the 35 mm films look awesome in Blu-Ray. From about 1966 onwards, the picture quality is generally superb. Finished watching disc two last night. I love the funny Hello Goodbye video where they are dancing. I think I had seen it once before.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5510
Newest Members:
frankc, viv@nelsontraining.co.uk, bornhairyman, frankkilmore123@gmail.com, onlyanorthernsong
Moderators: Joe: 5691, meanmistermustard: 24950, Ahhh Girl: 22213, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5691